ESP8266: Connection to DS3231 RTC

The objective of this post is to explain how to connect the ESP8266 to a DS3231 Real Time Clock. It also explains how to create a simple program to configure the time and date of the RTC and to measure it periodically.

Introduction

The objective of this post is to explain how to connect the ESP8266 to a DS3231 Real Time Clock. It also explains how to create a simple program to configure the time and date of the RTC and to measure it periodically.

If you prefer, you can check a video tutorial on my YouTube Channel:

Hardware

For this tutorial, we consider the use of the DS3231 Real Time Clock (described in more detail in this previous post) integrated in an easy to use board, which can be bought at eBay for less than 1 euro. This board is shown in figure 1.

We also assume the use of the ESP8266 libraries for the Arduino IDE. You can check here how to configure the Arduino IDE to support the ESP8266.

ds3231

Figure 1 – DS3231 based board.

The hardware diagram to connect this board (which we called DS3231, for simplicity) to the ESP8266 is very easy and is shown in figure 2.

ESP8266 DS3231 diagram

Figure 2 – Connection diagram between the ESP8266 and the DS3231.

As can be seen in the diagram, the DS3231 uses an I2C interface to interact with microcontrollers. Since we are using the Arduino IDE, we have the Wire library available to handle the I2C protocol in the ESP8266, which we will later use when creating the program to interact with the RTC.

As described in the documentation of the ESP8266 libraries for the Arduino IDE, the default pins for the I2C in the Wire library  are pins 4 (SDA) and 5 (SDL). If you are using a NodeMCU board, take into consideration that the board pins don’t correspond to the ESP8266 pins (check here the correct mapping).

Software Library

As usual, the Arduino Environment provides a wide range of libraries to interface with different devices, and the DS3231 is no exception. So, we use the library shown in figure 3 which, as stated in the description, is tested on the ESP8266.

esp8266-ds3231-library.png

Figure 3 – Library to interact with the DS3231 from the ESP8266.

This library provides easy to use functions to interface with the RTC, without the need for the programmer to worry about the low level details of the I2C protocol. Besides that, it comes with some code samples to help us get started.

We can install it using the library manager of the Arduino IDE.

Software

As stated before, we will create a simple program to configure the time and date of the real time clock and then read it from 20 to 20 seconds and print it to the serial console.

First, we need to include the newly installed library that allows us to interact with the DS3231 and also the Arduino library that implements the communication with I2C devices (wire library):

#include <Wire.h> //I2C library
#include <RtcDS3231.h> //RTC library

The functions to interact with the RTC are provided as methods of the RtcDS3231 class. So, we declare an object of this class before the setup function:

RtcDS3231 rtcObject;

Update: If you are using version 2.0.0 of the library or greater, then you need to declare the object as follows:

RtcDS3231<TwoWire> rtcObject(Wire);

In the setup function, we begin the serial connection and then we call the Begin method on the RtcDS3231 object we previously declared. By analyzing the source code for this method, we can see that it only starts the I2C Wire library by calling the Wire.begin() method.  Nevertheless this is just a detail that we don’t need to worry about.

To make things simple and the code cleaner, the RTC library uses another class, called RtcDateTime, which allows us to create objects to hold the date and time information. This is easier to maintain than having to define a different variable to hold all the parameters from seconds to years.

So, we declare an object of this class and pass the parameters, from year to second, in the constructor. Finally, we call the setDateTime method on the RtcDS3231 object and pass it the RtcDateTime object that holds the date and time information.

All those steps to execute in the setup function are shown bellow:

void setup() {

Serial.begin(115200); //Starts serial connection
rtcObject.Begin();    //Starts I2C

rtcObject.SetDateTime(currentTime);                      //configure the RTC with object

}

Finally, we will read the current date and time from the RTC in the main loop function. In this simple example, we will poll the RTC every 20 seconds.

To get a the current time and date, we call the GetDateTime method on our previously defined RtcDS3231 object (which we named “rtcObject”). This method will return a RtcDateTime object, as we used before in the setup function.

The RtcDateTime class has a method for getting each of the parameters of date and time. We will use those methods to get them and print them to a string (using the sprintf function).

Once we have all the information of date and time on a string, we send it to the serial port, to get the output on the serial console of the Arduino IDE.

In the end of the main loop, we put a delay of 20 seconds. Check the whole main loop code below:

void loop() {

RtcDateTime currentTime = rtcObject.GetDateTime();    //get the time from the RTC

char str[15];   //declare a string as an array of chars

sprintf(str, "%d/%d/%d %d:%d:%d",     //%d allows to print an integer to the string
          currentTime.Year(),   //get year method
          currentTime.Month(),  //get month method
          currentTime.Day(),    //get day method
          currentTime.Hour(),   //get hour method
          currentTime.Minute(), //get minute method
          currentTime.Second()  //get second method
         );

Serial.println(str); //print the string to the serial port

delay(20000); //20 seconds delay

}

Note: Although this example uses a char array, we could also use a string object to print the time and date parameters. Nevertheless, it is important to know that we can use char arrays as strings, which is more efficient. Also, in pure C, there are no objects, so strings are always arrays of chars.

You can check the full source code bellow, with both declarations of the RtcDS3231 objects for versions 1.0.1 and 2.0.0.

#include <Wire.h>       //I2C library
#include <RtcDS3231.h>  //RTC library

//RtcDS3231 rtcObject;              //Uncomment for version 1.0.1 of the rtc library
RtcDS3231<TwoWire> rtcObject(Wire); //Uncomment for version 2.0.0 of the rtc library

void setup() {

Serial.begin(115200);  //Starts serial connection
  rtcObject.Begin();     //Starts I2C

RtcDateTime currentTime = RtcDateTime(16, 05, 18, 21, 20, 0); //define date and time object
  rtcObject.SetDateTime(currentTime); //configure the RTC with object

currentTime.Second()  //get second method
         );

Serial.println(str); //print the string to the serial port

delay(20000); //20 seconds delay

}

Testing

After uploading the code and opening the serial console from the Arduino IDE, we should get a result similar to the one presented in figure 4.

ESP8266 DS3131 timekeeping

Figure 4 – Output of the program in the serial console of the Arduino IDE.

Final Notes

This was just a simple tutorial about a basic interaction with the DS3231. So, it is similar to an example provided by the author of the library, which I also encourage you to try.

Nevertheless, this RTC has some more functionalities, which will be explored in other tutorials.

Technical details

• ESP8266 libraries: v2.3.0
  • RTC library: V1.0.1 / V2.0.0
Advertisements
This entry was posted in ESP8266, Microcontrollers and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to ESP8266: Connection to DS3231 RTC

1. Pingback: ESP8266: Reading temperature with the DS3231 RTC | techtutorialsx

2. Bogdan says:

How to get from Your library the value of separate seconds, minutes, hours, and separately to record them (manually reinstall buttons)????

• antepher says:

Hi! First of all, let me clarify that the library is not mine. It is developed by Michael Miller. Check his github page here:

To get the separate values, you just need to use the methods of the RtcDateTime class specified in the tutorial.
      As in the example, I declared an object of RtcDateTime class called currentTime and called the Second(), Minute() and Hour() methods on it to obtain the values you mention.

I’m assuming you want to record them on the ESP8266. Thus, the best way is to use non-volatile memory, in order to not lose them even if you power off the device.

Check this from the Arduino IDE libraries for the ESP8266, to store values in non-volatile memory:

I didn’t understand the part of manually reinstall buttons.

Hope it helps

3. Pingback: ESP8266: DS3231 1Hz Square wave generator | techtutorialsx

4. Pingback: ESP8266: DS3231 Alarm when seconds match | techtutorialsx

5. Pradeepkumar says:

hi. i Set current time date month, etc then time running properly but after i disconnect all circuit at time (2017/03/08 11:58:57) after i connect the circuit on next day then checking time time starts at (2017/03/08 11:58:59) last time i disconnected time.

note: i programmed twice
    first time :

void setup() {

Serial.begin(115200); //Starts serial connection
    rtcObject.Begin(); //Starts I2C

rtcObject.SetDateTime(currentTime); //configure the RTC with object

}

Second time: i make set time as comment line

void setup() {

Serial.begin(115200); //Starts serial connection
    rtcObject.Begin(); //Starts I2C

// RtcDateTime currentTime = RtcDateTime(16,05,18,21,20,0); //define date and time object
    // rtcObject.SetDateTime(currentTime); //configure the RTC with object

}

6. antepher says:

Hi! In the first time the problem was that you reprogrammed the Real Time Clock to the same values. So, every time that program runs from the beginning, it erases any previous values and puts the ones defined in this line of code:
    RtcDateTime currentTime = RtcDateTime(16,05,18,21,20,0);

On the second time, it should have worked fine as long as the device has been kept connected to any power source. Did you leave it connected to VCC or with a backup battery (not mentioned in the diagram of figure 2)? Only when powered it keeps counting the time.

7. Pingback: ESP8266: DS3231 alarms once per second | techtutorialsx

8. Ray says:

He man.
    Well, this is weird for me but I am learning so maybe I do something completely wrong here.
    I have tested your little sketch on an empty NodeMCU E12 and it worked.
    Now I would like to add it to my sketch that always worked but I get an error.
    This error:
    no matching function for call to ‘RtcDateTime::RtcDateTime(int, int, int, int, int, int)’ in this line: RtcDateTime currentTime = RtcDateTime(17, 04, 13, 16, 10, 0); //define date and time object
    Does this mean I have a conflict with a library or with the extinction code?
    Hope it’s an easy one

• antepher says:

Hi! Well that’s really weird. But please give me some more information so I can try to reproduce the error.

Are you importing the Wire library in your sketch? Also, are you importing other libraries apart from the ones in this post?

Also, what is the version of your RTC library?

Can you also show me how you are calling that section in your code?

9. rahbrok says:

Weird story on this one for me.
    I have tested this sketch on an empty NodeMCU E12 without any problems. Used every line like in the description.
    Now I would like to ad it on a sketch with an oled display but get this error.
    Because I am just in an learning state I am very confused now.
    Do I have a library problem or a conflict on the I2C bus or…
    Checked every thing twice but can’t see any wrong typing/mismatch

10. rahbrok says:

What going on with this reply?
    Every time I have to log in twice but the reply is of gone or it puts an old one in place!
    I have placed a reply on what antepher said on April 14, 2017 at 6:29 pm but see now an old reply .
    So, here it goes again.
    If I put this in the top of the sketch:
    #if defined(ESP8266)
    #include
    #else
    #include
    #endif

It works on an oled display.
    So far so good, but if I use an Liquidcrystel lcd, the lcd doesn’t show anything any more.
    It looks to me that this library conflicts with other library’s.

(well, let’s see if this get posted here correctly!)

• antepher says:

Hi! It’s weird, I’ve received two similar comments indeed.
      Your includes have disappeared, I think WordPress removes stuff between greater than and lesser than signals, probably due to security reasons.

Please share the code again, but remove the greater than and lesser than signals 🙂

• rahbrok says:

Well antepher. Thanks for your response but I have given up on this wordpress (uhm) nonsense. I log in to wordpress, type a reply and have to log in again to see the reply but sometimes it is just gone. About the sketch. It is now more and more one big mess because of all the errors that are coming up. I know that it was/is in developer state but know it is just a mess. Guess I have to start over.

• antepher says:

Hi, the error you are getting is really weird. but in fact the constructor doesn’t use int but rather uints:

You can try to add an explicit cast for uint16_t for year and uint8_t for the other parameters, when calling the constructor. Nevertheless it would be weird, I think the cast should be implicit.

• rahbrok says:

Hi antepher.
            Sorry for taking your time on this. I have started all over and it is starting to working well. I had some problems with different kind of library’s and that did make up the error, I guess. I was not aware of the different locations. Had one in My documents. One in users/…. and one in the program folder of Arduino. Now I am able to get the day of week and made it all work on a Liquid-crystal LCD. Thanks again. Your page did help me, even with falling and standing up again.

• antepher says:

Hi! No problem, always feel free to ask 🙂 I’m glad it is now working.

To avoid that kind of issues, I always try to install the libraries via Arduino IDE Library Manager. It may help you reducing these kind of problems in the future.

That’s the spirit 🙂 many times, when working with microcontrollers and electronics, we face some weird issues. The important is that we try different approaches until we succeed. Many times, starting again from the beginning like you did is the best option.

Good luck with your project!

11. How to connect the module to pc to program it using Arduino IDE

12. rahbrok says:

Hi antepher.
    I am wondering if you could help me in the right direction of the next issue I have now with the RtcDateTime currentTime.
    I would like to set the time with a function in a webpage, like:
    var LCDtime =’T’+TODAY+REALTIME;
    console.log(‘LCDtime: ‘ + LCDtime);
    connection.send(LCDtime);
    This sends (as example): LCDtime: T2017, 05, 20, 12, 43, 08 (what I can see in the console of my browser.)
    In the seriel monitor I receive (as example): [0] get Text: T2017, 05, 20, 12, 43, 08.
    So far so good but how to use this text to set the RtcDateTime currentTime with this text! (without the T off-course)
    I have looked all over the web for a direction but because I am just learning I can’t seem to figure this one out. (maybe because I am thinking to simple about this “if serial monitor can show it, can I just set it to the RtcDateTime currentTime?”)
    If this question is Inadmissible or to stupid for words, just ignore it but if you have any idea to solve this I would really appreciate your help.
    Thanks for your time.
    Ray

• antepher says:

Hi Ray, always feel free to ask, no question is stupid 🙂

From what I understood, you can access the text in the T2017,05,… format in your code, as a string, right? If the format is always fixed like that, you can first get rid of the “T” and the “,” with the substring method:

So you can use the substring method to get the year, month, day, hour, minute and second in 6 different string variables, and then convert them to ints with the toInt function

Then, when you define the date and time object, you use those variables to set the values from year to second.

Hope it helps

• rahbrok says:

Hi antepher.
        I was already ‘afraid’ of that kind of conversion.
        It was to simple thinking on my side. Thinking there was a kind of magic trick to solve this.
        Now I have to figure out a way to do this well because I did this (for example)
        int thetime = atoi((const char*)&payload[1]);
        But that gives me only 2017.
        Any way, thanks a lot for your response and point of direction.
        Ray.

• rahbrok says:

Hi antepher,
        Attempted your response but are failing big.
        As far as I understand it for now, it is not a string!

String stringOne = payload[1]; = conversion from ‘uint8_t {aka unsigned char}’ to ‘String’ is ambiguous
        or
        char* stringOne = payload[1]; = invalid conversion from ‘uint8_t {aka unsigned char}’ to ‘char*’ [-fpermissive]
        And: int thetime = atoi((const char*)&payload[1]); gives me only 2017.

I know I have to learn a whole lot more to understand this.

• antepher says:

Hi! you need to figure out the type of your “T2017, 05, 20, 12, 43, 08” in the Arduino variable where you can access it. If it has that format, I think it is either a String or a char array, unless you are converting it for something else.

After figuring that out you need a way to convert it to integers, for passing to the RTC. But I think it will be around parsing a string and converting it to a integers.

Unfortunately I can’t help you much without knowing the type of variable you have in the Arduino. Let me know if you can figure that out.

Where are you getting the payload variable from?

• rahbrok says:

Hi antepher.
            Thank you so much for taking the time to think with me on this one.
            The payload is coming from a web-page.
            For the date:

var d=new Date();
            var monthname=new Array(“01″,”02″,”03″,”04″,”05″,”06″,”07″,”08″,”09″,”10″,”11″,”12”);
            var TODAY = d.getFullYear() + monthname[d.getMonth()] + d.getDate();

function sendLCDtime(){
            var today = new Date();
            var h = today.getHours();
            var m = today.getMinutes();
            var s = today.getSeconds();
            h = checkTime(h);
            m = checkTime(m);
            s = checkTime(s);
            var REALTIME = h + m + s;
            var LCDtime =’T’+TODAY+REALTIME;
            console.log(‘LCDtime: ‘ + LCDtime);
            connection.send(LCDtime);
            }

The function checkTime does look for the need of a leading zero.
            function checkTime(i) {
            if (i < 10) {i = "0" + i}; // add zero in front of numbers < 10
            return i;
            }
            (note: I have removed the , to be send but that is not a smart idea so far)
            So I thought that it is an array of char but I am wrong I guess because everything I attempted so far failed.
            So, you are completely right about knowing the type of variable I have in the Arduino but I don't seem to get it.

I am really sorry to bored you with my problem but thank you in capitals for your time.
            THANKS man.

Hi! You’re welcome, I’m happy to help 🙂

Well this is your JavaScript code, right? But what about the ESP866 code? There’s where we need to check the type of your variable, so we can know how to get the the year to second values.

Also, your connection.send function is sending an HTTP request to the ESP, right?

• rahbrok says:

Hi antepher.
                On the ESP side I have a webSocket and there is the answer ofcourse?

void webSocketEvent(uint8_t num, WStype_t type, uint8_t * payload, size_t lenght) {

switch (type) {
                case WStype_DISCONNECTED:
                USE_SERIAL.printf(“[%u] Disconnected!\n”, num);
                break;
                case WStype_CONNECTED: {
                IPAddress ip = webSocket.remoteIP(num);
                USE_SERIAL.printf(“[%u] Connected from %d.%d.%d.%d url: %s\n”, num, ip[0], ip[1], ip[2], ip[3], payload);
                // send message to client
                webSocket.sendTXT(num, “Connected”);
                }
                break;
                case WStype_TEXT:
                USE_SERIAL.printf(“[%u] get Text: %s\n”, num, payload);
                // on serielmonitor = [0] get Text: T 2017 05 22 21 47 20
                if (payload[0] == ‘T’) {
                // recieve the LCDtime from the webpage

And after this I fail.

• antepher says:

You’re welcome, I’m happy it is working fine and that you are able to show it on the LCD 🙂

Wish you the best luck with your projects! 🙂

• antepher says:

Unfortunately I haven’t yet played with websockets, so I may not be of much help. Nevertheless, it seems your payload is an array of bytes, with the content you have sent from the webpage.

I think you may be having difficult with that because you are sending the content as a string instead of as bytes. I can’t confirm this because the code is to complex, but probably your 2017 are 4 bytes in your payload array.

I think you probably have
              Payload[0] = “T”;
              Payload[1]=” “;
              Payload[2]=”2″;
              Payload[3]=”0″;
              Payload[4]=”1″;
              Payload[6]=”7”;
              etc…

You can test that and if it is what’s happening, then you are receiving a string byte by byte, where each character is a byte. I would send it as bytes from the server, but that is an architectural decision.

If you want to send it as a string from the webpage, maybe the best approach is to print your payload to a string variable in Arduino, and then use the substring approach that I’ve suggested in the beginning.

But I think the cleanest option is to send bytes. So, instead of doing connection.send(lcdtime), I would do something like (pseudo code, I don’t know the functions):

connection.send(date.year) //year
              connection.send(date.month) //month

connection.send(time.second) //second

On the Arduino then I would just have:
              int year = payload [0];

int second = payload[5].

Again, its a suggestion, I can’t make sure it will work.

Hope it helps you going on the right track 🙂 But if you can’t get to a solution, my suggestion would be going a step back and testing things step by step. First of all, learning how to get the year to second values on the webpage code, without the “T” and the “,”. Then, figuring out how to send each of those values through the websocket.

Finally, confirm that you can get them as ints on the Arduino side.

• rahbrok says:

Hi man,
                Removing the T is not an option because it is used to point to a function. But… I have finally a point to work on. I now have a string from the payload that looks like this: 2017,05,23,14,31,10
                Now I can go with StringSubstring and StringToInt.
                Thanks anyway for your time.

• rahbrok says:

Hi man,
                Finally coming somewhere with the code.
                First I made a String:
                int inYear = (RealYear.toInt());
                int inMth = (RealMth.toInt());
                int inDay = (RealDay.toInt());
                int inHour = (RealHour.toInt());
                int inMin = (RealMin.toInt());
                int inSec = (RealSec.toInt());
                I have tested it on the serial monitor:
                Serial.print(“Int Value of RealYear: “);
                Serial.println(RealYear.toInt());
                And that gives:
                Int Value of RealYear: 2017
                Now I have just one little question of how to put these names into the RtcDateTime currentTime?
                I hope you can find the time and energies to help me with this last, maybe stupid question.

Hi! Well now it will be easy 🙂 You just do:

RtcDateTime currentTime = RtcDateTime(inYear, inMth,inDay,inHour,inMin,inSec); //define date and time object
                rtcObject.SetDateTime(currentTime);

And it should be set on the RTC 🙂

Then you can get the value from the RTC and print it to the serial console to confirm it was correctly set.

• rahbrok says:

Hi antepher,
                Amazing. It works like I wanted.
                You helped me so very much with this by pointing me in the right direction.
                Thank again man, you rock.
                (btw: the time is showed on a LCD)

Liked by 1 person

13. Why not just use the esp8266 NTPClient in the Arduino SDK as opposed to adding hardware?

• antepher says:

Hi! I think it is also a valid choice. But depending to the architecture of your solution, you may want to have an RTC for multiple reasons:
      – The ESP8266 is a cheap device, you can use it as a microcontroller without using the WiFi functionalities, so the NTPClient can’t be used
      – The RTC shown here has more functions than just timekeeping, such as generating programmable alarms, measuring temperature or generating square waves. With a ESP8266 + DS3231 you have a very cheap temperature logger
      – The RTC can be battery operated (with a small coin cell) so even if the ESP8266 power goes off, the RTC will still reliably maintain time and date
      – If the WiFi signal goes off, we can still make measurements and timestamp them with the values from the RTC, to send them latter to a server when the WiFi signal is restored. You can implement an internal timekeeping function in the ESP8266 that gets sincronized from time to time using NTP to circumvent the problem, but it’s accuracy will depend on many factors (temperature, crystal oscillator, etc..), and the RTC will give much more accurate results. Besides that, internal timekeeping on the ESP8266 will most likely need to be based on interrupts, which may break some opportunities for power saving with sleep modes.

Well, these are some reasons I think that justify the use of an external RTC, but again, as you said, using the NTPClient is also a valid and less expensive choice, if your architecture allows to.

Hope it clarifies 🙂

14. Robert says:

Hallo from Germany,
    Is there a chance that you help me integrate your code into my sketch.
    I have an 8dig 7 segment display and would like a simple clock. That is, of course, exactly.
    For this would be a comparison by NTP over Wifi ideal. But then later.
    Robert

• antepher says:

Hi Robert, sorry for the delay.

Unfortunately due to time constraints I can’t help you with actual code, but I can try to give you a help with the architecture and more conceptual stuff. In which parts do you need help?

I haven’t yet used NTP, but the rest of what you want to achieve should be simple.

Best regards,